Saturday, November 9, 2013

Virginia's Kitchen Staples: Victorinox 40520 Fibrox 8-Inch Chef's Knife

I'd like to introduce a new series of blog posts where I share my kitchen essentials.  I've tested these thoroughly and not only use them in my own kitchen, but I like to give them as gifts as well.

I'm not a fan of the big knife blocks you get at Macy's.  I prefer to customize my knife collection.  Just like a golfer's got preferences with what brand of driver they use, putter, etc...I feel the same way about my knives.  If you're playing a par three, you might just need to bring a pitching wedge, putter, and a good driver.  So I'd like to go over just the essentials.

Today I'll start with my "driver"...the chef knife.



In case you haven't been caught up with my life so far, I've been working hard on my startup, Speek.  This means making some cuts (PUN INTENDED) at home so I'm not going nuts buying obscure Japanese Ginsu knife sets.

The best part? It's under $40. Nailed it.

After much research (Equipment Corner in Cooks Illustrated is an awesome source), I came across this hidden gem.  Stays nice and sharp, good size, and the handle stays grippy when your hands get wet.  Can't ask for much more. Sturdy knife for prep and I've cut some serious chicken bones with it as well.  This is a solid knife and a great housewarming/Christmas/birthday gift for the food enthusiast in your life.

Here's the Amazon link.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008M5U1C2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Next up...I'll tell you about my pairing knife...which would probably be closet to your "putter".

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. The word`s better coussine of the World CHINISE ONE!!!!!!
    The knife you can find in Amazon
    Amazon Victorinox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - its time. I've paid enough to buy Kim Chi at the awesome Korean joint a few miles from me. I need to learn how to make my own Kim Chi... There are a few hundred recipes easily available, but wanted to see if you were willing to share your tricks??

    ReplyDelete