Thursday, February 14, 2013

Easy Peasy Split Pea Soup

Working at a startup has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.  But I will say my lifestyle has changed drastically.  Mostly for the better.  And if you hate conference calls, I promise you Speek will make YOUR life better.

There has, however, been a lot of penny pinching.  I haven't cut my hair in over a year, manicures are a thing of the past, I bat more than an eyelash at a $100 bar tab, and this Valentines Day we skipped the fancy dinner and decided to stay in.  My significant other and I both work for Speek and there's a lot of work to be done!

This split pea soup is not only super easy to make, it is also budget friendly.

If you wear a snuggy while eating this, it tastes better.

Easy Peasy Split Pea Soup
Serves 6-8 easily

4 slices of low sodium bacon, chopped (you can substitute a cup of diced leftover ham)
2 medium onions, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large Russet potato, peeled and cubed into 1/2" pieces
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 package of dry split peas, rinsed
1 and 1/2 (or 2 if you like a thinner soup) box of chicken stock
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pinch of dry basil
1 dash of liquid smoke (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

1. Cook bacon in large Dutch oven.  If you are using leftover ham, sauté it up with just a little olive oil.
2. Add onions and carrots.  Sauté until soft.
3. Add garlic, stir until fragrant.
4. Add the potato, peas, stock, bay leaves, garlic powder, basil, liquid smoke.
5. Bring to a boil.
6. Lower heat to a simmer and cover for about an hour or until peas are very soft.  Stir often. I like it super thick, but if you prefer it thinner, add more chicken stock (last half of the second box).
7. Season with salt and pepper.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, your recipes (and cooking) are absolutely stellar. And I can say this with absolute certainty because I am the (now ex) boyfriend mentioned in this article! Basically all the recipes on this site, with perhaps the exception of ones with "Danny" in the name, are worth trying at least once. In fact, I'm currently here because I'm making Mama Lee's Braised Spicy Chicken Stew for the 30th time. Coworkers are going to be so jealous at lunch tomorrow!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete