Thursday, April 22, 2010

Why doesn't Harness Your Kim Chi have a kimchee recipe?

Oh Google Analytics.  If there's one thing you have taught me is that my site traffic comes from people looking for kimchee guidance, only to find random ramblings from a home cook.  Who knew!  And I thought I had 2 readers!  After an average of 19 seconds this visitor generally moves on to an actual kimchee site.

Well then.

Here's my kimchi challenge.

Korean ajummas are reluctant to share their recipes.  Even with their own family.  My mom once told me that her kimchee recipe did not exist and that she does something different each time.  The one time I came over (pictured above) to make kimchee at the house, the kimchee marinade was mysteriously already prepared.  When I asked how she made it, the subject was quickly changed.  Our real estate agent confirmed this the other day when he mentioned his Korean mother in law (qualifies as an ajumma, I assume) will reveal only parts of her recipes as she sneaks in secret ingredients behind their backs....("what?  she didn't say there was ginger ale in the recipe!").

So. Fine then.  I will develop my own.  That will be the task for this summer. I recently claimed on the site that I was going to learn how to compost, to no avail (catch up guys, my promises are no good).  But this time I'm for real.  I will make my own kimchee.  AND I will share it.

2 comments:

  1. good luck with the kimchi! my mom gave me her recipe, we can compare notes sometime :)
    love the photographs!-nancy j.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see you come up with a kim chi cocktail!

    Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete