Sunday, February 13, 2011

Chicken Butt and Potty Humor.

- Turns out I was wrong. So wrong.  My Korean age is 31...not 30!  Give a girl a break.  However, I did get carded at the movie theatre the other day.  This happens a lot in the states...I didn't expect it to happen here.  Turns out we even fool ourselves.

-  Korea is very high-tech.  Everyone has a smartphone here.  Even the streets have giant interactive, touch phone-shaped screens that provide maps of the city, tourist attractions and will take your picture and send it to your smartphone.  This has to be the coolest/germ-ridden thing ever.



(us examining the picture and putting a tasteful frame around it before sending it to our respective phones)
 Yet, the bathroom I tried to use in the subway looked like a porcelain hole in the floor.  I had not the patience (nor the knees) for the gymnastics involved in trying the relieve myself.  I was later told by my cousin that the hole in the ground/floor was an old school thing.  I am so glad I am visiting Korea after most of the buildings caught up with more modern plumbing.

-   The cars have small wide screens for GPS...and get this...a TV.  This has to be dangerous.
 


-  I'm learning lots of good Korean cusswords.

- I finally got a night out in the city to do some drinking.  Turns out I am a heavy drinker, even for a Korean.  My cousins told me that Korea was number 3 in big world drinkers (after Ireland and Russia)....so I wore my extra thick drinking pants.  You serve yourself liquor here.  It's pretty tight...and can get out of hand fast.  Soju is a lot stronger than I thought.






In Kangnam...famous for its impressive bar (or "sul jcheep" translated literally to "house of booze")  per square foot.
-  I ate chicken sphincter.  Please do not confuse this with the delicious "Pope's nose" or the area by the tail feathers.  This is actual chicken asshole.  "Dak-Ddong-Jcheep".  This literally translates to " Chicken Poo House".  So descriptive when you think about it. 


Harness Your Chicken Butt

Anthony Bourdain ate this on the Korean No Reservations episode.  I too was downing soju (distilled rice liquor)...which I think is required to drunkenly forget that you are eating chicken asshole.

Me.  Dropping chicken butt.  A combination of inebriation and weak chopstick hands.
-  I was a little full from the chicken...so I missed out again on some street food...but it was tempting.  It's been cold out, so the venders all have thick plastic curtains around everything.




-  Irish pubs in Korean are gimmicky too. 


And holy chicken asshole are they expensive.


No comments:

Post a Comment