Thursday, November 11, 2010

RECIPE: Brown Rice/Wild Rice, Mushroom, Parsley Salad

I'm not sure what to call it, but I refuse to make up silly names for things that can't be categorized like Rachel Ray (Stewp?  Seriously?).

Great served room temperature or warm, I'll eat it any way I can get it.  I use a brown /wild rice mixture and cook it in my rice cooker, making this recipe even easier.  Cut down on the parsley if you don't like it as much...but in my opinion it is an underrated herb.   I like to let the parsley be the star in this "salad".  The batch I made below had too little parsley.

RECIPE: Brown Rice/Wild Rice, Mushroom, Parsley Salad
Serves 4


1 cup uncooked Brown Rice/Wild Rice
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 lb (one package) baby portabella mushrooms, washed, quartered,  and dried
1/2 cup chopped parsley
Juice from 1 lemon
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
salt and pepper

Cook rice according to directions.  1 cup uncooked should yield about 2 cups cooked.  In a preheated medium skillet, heat about 2 tsps of the olive oil.  In batches, saute the mushrooms, ensuring a nice brown sear.  I can't stress the batch sauteing...if you don't give mushrooms a little space to cook, the moisture in the pan will steam them or the oil temp will drop in the pan, and no brown sear for you.  And don't forget to season!

To make the dressing: In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining olive oil (try using a good extra virgin oil for the dressing) and lemon juice.  Add rice, mushrooms and parsley.  Combine.  Taste, season.  Garnish with cheese. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment