Wednesday, March 17, 2010

RECIPE: Olive a Whiskey Old Fashioned

I stumbled upon this Midwestern gem in the hotel bar inside the Radisson in LaCrosse, WI so I can only take credit for my cute name for this cocktail.  Michael has always been a huge fan of the Old Fashioned, and according to him and every other Wisconsinite I met on my trip out there, you can’t find a decent Old Fashioned anywhere on either coast.  Well then.  Today I do not bring you cheese, or beer, or cured meats from the fly-over state (is that offensive?)…I bring you the Whiskey Old Fashioned with a little something special.

Olive a Whiskey Old Fashioned

1.5-2oz of Seagrams Seven Whiskey
1 sugar packet (or cube, or eyeball a little more than a teaspoon and a half)
1 small orange slice (the equivalent to about a 1/16 of a large orange)
3-4 dashes of bitters
1 maraschino cherry
Splash of soda water
Splash of Squirt lemon lime (soooo Midwestern)
2 olives for garnish

In an empty rocks glass add orange slice, sugar and cherry.  Add 3-4 dashes of bitters.  Splash in a bit of soda water to activate the bitters.  Muddle well.  Fill with booze, ice and top off with a little Squirt.  Garnish with 2 olive.

An olive you ask?  It equalizes the bitters and the sweetness I was told.  And they were absolutely right.  Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment