Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Something to think about: Sustainability

I can't stop hearing/reading about it so I decided to do a little research. It seems to be the hip thing to do (and I'll actually buy into this rather than skinny jeans, Vampire Weekend, and Wayfarers).  Since I'm not much of a writer, here's something I completely ripped off of the Local Harvest website:

" Over the last 20 years, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) has become a popular way for consumers to buy local, seasonal food directly from a farmer. Here are the basics: a farmer offers a certain number of "shares" to the public. Typically the share consists of a box of vegetables, but other farm products may be included. Interested consumers purchase a share (aka a "membership" or a "subscription") and in return receive a box (bag, basket) of seasonal produce each week throughout the farming season." 


After doing some research in my area on costs of shares, I came across some reasonable prices: $300 for 16 weeks (Potomac Vegetable Farms) or $710 for 20 weeks, eggs and veggies at Virginia Green Grocer, Certified Organic  for a half share.  The seasons usually start in the spring and go into the fall.  Something to think about.



2 comments:

  1. I am considering a CSA in Gainesville also! Wish you lived closer and we could share one!
    xo, amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be AWESOME! Glad you are considering it with your recent dietary switch to no meats. Sad, but good.

    ReplyDelete